Hear from an expert: Audra Stockman, VP of Operations at Xclusive Janitorial Services
Computer keyboards and laptops can harbor over 20,000 times the number of bacteria and viruses as toilet seats, according to online IT educational organization, CBT Nuggets.
While we regularly clean bathroom facilities, laptops are often neglected. In school environments, Chromebooks are a prime candidate for the spread of COVID-19 and other disease-causing pathogens.
We recommend schools sanitize each device before it is sent home in the hands of staff and students and establish daily workflows for frequent cleaning of educational environments and their contents.
Use the following procedure for disinfecting Chromebooks and similar learning devices:
1. Prepare your space and devices before beginning the process
- Before cleaning, ensure the Chromebook is powered off and unplugged from any outlets.
- Obtain the right supplies.
- Microfiber rags (Each device requires three clean microfiber cloths to prevent cross-contamination)
- Soft brush
- Trash bags
- A solution of distilled water (70%), alcohol (30%)
- An air compressor
- Protect yourself with proper PPE (Personal Protection Equipment).
- Gloves, mask, and goggles
- Use new gloves when cleaning each Chromebook
2. Clean the device for sanitization/disinfecting
- Use the compressed air to clean open ports and keyboard. Remove visible debris using the compressed air and the soft brush.
3. Disinfect all parts of the Chromebook
- Remain mindful of breakable components.
- Once you‘ve cleaned the device, dampen a clean microfiber rag with the alcohol solution.
- Gently wipe down the outside of the computer, the keyboard, and the inside of the device.
- Use a second microfiber rag and the solution to wipe the screen lightly.
- After disinfecting, wait 10 minutes for proper dwell time.
- Finally, using the third microfiber rag, re-wipe all residue from the Chromebook.
4. Finalize the process
- Before turning the device back on, be sure it has air–dried.
- Remove contaminated gloves and dispose of them.
- Be sure to use fresh gloves and cleaning cloths for the next device.
These simple procedures will thoroughly clean the Chromebook, eliminate viruses and bacteria, and help to keep school environments safe for students and staff.
Hayes Software Systems and Xclusive Janitorial Services have partnered to provide sanitization support to your school district. As you prepare to reopen for the upcoming academic year, these guidelines offer processes, strategies, and procedures to create and maintain a safe environment for students and staff. We’re here to help you as you support your school. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions or want to learn more about how other districts are overcoming similar obstacles.
About Audra Stockman
Audra Stockman is the Vice President of Operations for Xclusive Janitorial Services, an industry-leading cleaning, disinfecting, and sanitization staffing company. Audra has managed sanitization, cleaning, and disinfecting services across industries, including K-12, Hospitality, and Medical. Audra and her team hold accreditations from John Hopkins, ISSA, and OSHA.
Xclusive Janitorial Services is the industry leader and trusted partner to hundreds of clients across industries nationwide. As the preferred partner of multiple national hospitality companies, Xclusive Janitorial Services has grown to meet client needs for over 20 years.
Hayes Software Systems has been committed to supporting K-12 educators since 1990. Hayes was founded by an educator who believed in impacting the lives of students by supporting school staff. Used in over 9,000 schools, including over 35 of the largest 100 school systems in the country, Hayes’ solutions impact over 8,000,000 students. As the educational landscape shifts, we are constantly shifting, too.