School RFID Solution - TIPWeb-RFID
TIPWeb-RFID is the first RFID inventory solution specifically designed for K-12 education.
Now school districts can take advantage of the streamlined audit process benefits of RFID while also performing the day-to-day tracking of inventory to buildings, departments, rooms, staff, and students in a single solution, TIPWeb-IT.
Radio-frequency identification (RFID) incorporates a specialized reader which transmits and receives radio waves in order to communicate with RFID tags applied to your devices. RFID is the solution to scaling your inventory audits by addressing the challenges that strain your current processes - limited staff resources, increasing inventory purchases, and an overwhelming number of building locations.
RFID inventory scanning is designed to be quick and efficient, allowing the user to pick up difficult-to-reach barcodes in a room in a fraction of the time it would normally take. Imagine how convenient it would be to inventory those projectors mounted to the ceiling, stacks of laptops in storage, or those routers and switches overhead just by being in the same room with them. That’s TIPWeb-RFID.
How it works
- Apply RFID tags to your assets
- Record your asset record details in TIPWeb-IT
- Perform inventory audits with our MC3190-Z RFID reader programmed with TIPWeb-RFID software
- Reconcile inventory location exceptions in TIPWeb-IT
The primary benefit of RFID tags for physical inventory audits is the fact that multiple RFID tags can be read simultaneously and automatically. Tags can be read at distances of up to several feet, without the need for line-of-sight.
A common inventory cycle, without RFID, takes 2-5 days per building and is only performed 1 time per year. With the use of RFID technology, inventories can now be performed daily, typically requiring only one employee and only hours of resource time.
These improvements in inventory time allow RFID users to take immediate advantage of the inventory data and make real-time decisions on stock availability. Data gathered through real-time inventory is used not only to improve the customer experience and increase asset utilization, but also to streamline operations and reduce overall costs.
Research studies have shown that RFID gives rise to enhancements that include:
- 20% reduction in labor-intensive processes
- 25% reduction in underutilized inventory
Overall, RFID technology enables organizations to automate labor-intensive processes, authenticate and safeguard their assets, and achieve real-time inventories and asset visibility.
What you need
There are four key elements necessary for a mobile RFID asset inventory. Create a true end-to-end solution by including professional development, consulting services, and business system integrations.
Four RFID Solution Components
RFID IMPLEMENTATION FRAMEWORK
Our Comprehensive implementation framework provides districts with a clear roadmap for the deployment of RFID technology in your organization. The framework gives school districts a holistic perspective of the implementation of RFID solutions with clear guidance to help define objectives and recognize benefits from your investment. With a balanced view of both benefits and challenges, the framework can achieve a better appreciation and execution of necessary project activities.
Steps to Implement RFID Technology
1. Determine whether you want to deploy RFID as a point solution to solve one problem (technology/finance/maintenance), or as an infrastructure approach to solve multiple problems.
2. Determine which objects you would like to track- carts/routers/switches.
3. Consider other factors that might influence which system is most appropriate:
• How large is the asset?
• How is the asset used and stored (highly mobile/static)?
• How can you deploy the system with minimal disruption to existing operational activities?
4. Determine if objects have specific distance requirements to be identified and tracked.
5. Determine the location accuracy required for each item being tracked, as well
as the layout of the environment.
6. Prioritize the benefits of tracking and managing the objects, or groups of objects, on your list.
There are an increasing number of districts planning to implement Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) systems to enhance their responsiveness to future needs with enhanced asset visibility, improved efficiency in item tracking, and reduced item location uncertainty. Many managerial challenges exist in planning for the implementation of such a system in a rapidly changing school district environment.
Our comprehensive implementation framework provides districts with a clear roadmap for the deployment of RFID technology in your organization for inventory control. The proposed framework gives school districts a holistic perspective of the implementation of RFID solutions with clear guidance to help define objectives and recognize benefits from your investment. With a balanced view of both benefits and challenges, the framework can achieve a better appreciation and execution of necessary project activities.
The critical success factors for a system’s implementation are technological, managerial, and social. Each dimension is addressed in deployment planning provided by Hayes Software Systems.
Essential RFID Services
- Evaluate and recommend asset types
- Recommend and test RFID tag types
RFID Tag Selection
- Select tag type(s) and quantity
- Define artwork requirements
On-Site TIPWeb-RFID Training
- RFID expectations and components
- Inventory taking procedures
RFID Prototype Rollout
- Select site and criteria for testing success
- Define improvements for next phases
RFID System Deployment Project Planning
- Define project business case
- Create and communicate requirements documents
Asset Tagging & Inventory Audit Procedure Optimization
- Identify processes affected by RFID
- Recommend new workflow and policy
Customized RFID User Manual
- Provide tag location procedures
- Document inventory best practices
Inventory Project Management Oversight & Tagging
- Introduce procedures and goals
- Coach and guide inventory teams